100g (3.5oz) shortbread biscuits
3 eggs, separated
1 can sweetened condensed milk (400g / 14oz)
1/2 cup lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
55g (2oz) caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). And line 8 holes of a muffin tray with papers.
2. Smash shortbread in a bag or whizz in the food processor until you have coarse crumbs. Divide crumbs between the muffin trays.
3. Combine egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice and zest in a bowl and place on top of the crumb bases.
4. Whisk egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat for a few more minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Spoon whites on top of the lemon filling.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Cool before serving.
gluten-free – replace the shortbread with gluten-free plain sweet biscuits or just use ground almonds or other nuts.