- 2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 or 3)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease well and flour two 8 inch layer cake pans or a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Into the large bowl of an electric mixer sift flour with baking powder, soda, salt and sugar.
- Add shortening, bananas and vanilla. At low speed beat just until combined.
- At medium speed beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber scraper.
- Add eggs and buttermilk, beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake layers 30-35 minutes, oblong pan 40-45 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Fill with sweetened whipped cream and sliced bananas or with cream cheese frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Beat cream cheese with butter and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add powdered sugar until you reach the consistency and sweetness that suits your taste.