- 1 can Low Sodium Cream of Chicken
- 2 cans Low Sodium Cream Of Mushroom
- 3 tablespoons Mascarpone Cheese, softened (softened cream cheese would also work)
- 4 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Cheddar Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cold
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup more for topping
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, cold and shaken
- 1 large egg, cold
- Freshly ground pepper for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, add the cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and Mascarpone cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in the broccoli, cheese, black pepper, and mix. Add the mixture to a rectangular or oval casserole dish about (8×12). Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to a medium bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and mix. Using a box grater, grate the cold butter atop the flour mixture. Transfer the bowl to the freezer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, measure out the buttermilk and add the egg; beat until combined. Grab the bowl out of the freezer, and gently break up the butter and combine with the flour, using your hands, until it resembles small peas. Next, add the cheese and combine until it’s evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture all at once and mix until barely combined; lightly knead the dough until it forms one solid mass.
- Using two tablespoons, drop 6-8 mounds of dough onto the surface of the chicken and casserole mixture. Top with a generous amount of cheddar cheese.
- Top each biscuit with a few turns of freshly ground pepper.
- Transfer the entire dish to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the biscuits are lightly golden brown and the center is bubbling. To serve, remove one of the biscuits, exposing the casserole filling. Spoon it out into a bowl and top with a biscuit. Repeat.