- 6 cups diced, peeled, and cored Granny Smith Apples
- A bit of lemon juice (roughly 1 TBS or so)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Funnel Cakes:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 TBS white sugar
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 11 oz bag caramel bits (found in the baking aisle with chocolate chips…alternately could use a bag of caramels, unwrapped)
- 4 TBS heavy cream
- Whipped Cream for garnish
- Apples: In a large bowl, squirt about a Tablespoon of lemon juice on diced, peeled apples. Toss to coat.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine water, cornstarch, both sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk over medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue whisking until mixture thickens and darkens to a very thick gravy-like consistency. Add apples and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes or until apples have reached desired tenderness. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Caramel Sauce:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat caramel and cream for about 3 minutes in the microwave, stopping to stir every 30 seconds, until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Funnel cakes: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream milk, sugar and eggs. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth. The batter should resemble thick pancake batter — pourable, but thick enough to hold it’s shape when poured into hot oil. If it’s too thick, add a bit of milk. If it’s too thin, add a bit more flour until you get the right consistency.
- Pour oil in an 8 inch skillet. The oil should be about an inch high. Heat until it reaches 375, or batter sizzles when you drop a bit in.
- Using a funnel or a pancake batter dispenser, pour batter in the pan in a circular motion. Do about 3 circles, then fill in with criss crosses of batter. This will hold it all together. Cook in the oil until the bottom turns a dark golden, then flip over and do the same. Drain funnel cakes on paper towels.
- Top freshly fried funnel cakes with apple filling, then drizzle generously with caramel and top with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- Makes about 6 servings