- 4 extra large sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12-oz. frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4-5 slices serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic from a jar
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 8-oz. Kefir (yogurt cheese)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper or more to taste
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ to 1 cup of cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese as garnish
- Fresh cilantro as garnish
- ½ gallon coconut milk
- Bake sweet potatoes in 400° oven until done.
- Mine took about 2 hours because they were large.
- Set aside potatoes to cool a little, then peel.
- In a large Dutch oven place frozen corn and roast with chili powder and cumin for about 5 minutes.
- Stir constantly so corn doesn’t stick. (You can add a little coconut oil to avoid sticking if you prefer).
- Add onion, red pepper, serrano pepper, salt, pepper, garlic, and cilantro.
- Continue sautéing until veggies are done.
- Add kefir cheese to sweet potatoes.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir sweet potatoes in corn mixture and add black beans.
- Slowly stir coconut milk into Dutch oven and heat over medium heat until cooked through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro as desired.
You can garnish this soup with croutons or French bread, sprinkle with cheese and melt in oven about 10 minutes.
OTHER OPTIONS: Add sliced leeks or salsa when sautéing the corn.
Greek yogurt can be substituted for the kefir cheese.